Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

In case I don't see ya; Good Afternoon, Good Evening and Good Night!


I will take a break from embarrassing my family, and instead I will simply put up pictures of the Christmas gift I made for my son this year.

His all time favorite movie is The Truman Show starring Jim Carrey. It is not a movie showing Jim Carreys usual  Jim Carreyness. It is a satire of sorts, and a little bit of drama mixed with comedy. A semi darkness / sadness to it also (in my opinion) But just one of those movies that we love.

Anyway, I was trying to think of one more gift for my son for Christmas and suddenly it hit me. You know those poster prints that are all the rage right now. Basically a two toned printed with block letters spelling out either a favorite phrase, or lyrics from a song. Do It Yourselfers are learning from Pinterest how to create their own, and that is exactly what I did.

~Starting with a small piece of plywood my husband had left over from a job~







After this step, I used an antiquing varnish and wiped it over the whole print about 5 or 6 times. Then sanded some of the sides a bit to give it a vintage look. 



 I wrote something special on the back! Hopefully this will hang not only in his room, but in his bachelor pad, and eventually his family home. Unless he marries a woman that demands that he only hang it in his man cave or garage. Then we may have a problem. ;) 


The movie is about Truman, played by Jim Carrey, who lives his life in front of cameras on his own reality show. The only thing is, he is not aware that his life is being filmed. The cameras are hidden, and it has been that way since his birth. He is always cheerful to everyone, and the quote I painted is something that he would say to his neighbors in the morning. 


But at the end of the movie when he figures it all out and essentially 'escapes' the clutches of the producer he utters his famous quote one last time, but in a much different tone.



Great Movie! 

Tomorrow I will be back to my usual  programming;
You know, showcasing the shenanigans of my family. 


9 comments:

  1. This is so great! I love that movie...it was wonderfully done. I love that your son gets it.
    What a special gift...any girl that can't appreciate it needs to get booted out. She's not a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great movie, yes! And my son is pretty special, he 'gets' a lot. He can be a knucklehead, but deep inside he is pretty wise beyond his 18 years.

      And that is my thought! If the girl won't let him hang it....well, Mama will be over there in a split second. ;)

      Delete
  2. What a cool idea. That is such a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes it is a terrific movie. :)

      Delete
  3. I just watched that movie yesterday. My daughter came in and plopped on my bed. "I love this movie!"
    I think that's an AWESOME gift! I hope his future wife lets him put it in the front room. I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool that you just watched it. We have the DVD somewhere, so I think I will pop it in this weekend.

      Thank you, I felt like it was a great idea, and it was met with smiles from him so I'm happy.

      Delete
  4. Oh what a wonderful gift, made all the more special because it was with him in mind and created by you.

    And yeah , it is a brilliant film. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lily, maybe you could bust out your inner craft woman and make one with some Dr. Who Quote for the lil'man.
      Which by the way, I still don't know who Doctor Who is. I'm workin on it though.

      Brilliant film indeed! :)

      Delete

Reading is a wonderful thing......if you enjoy what you are reading
Writing is a wonderful thing.........if you enjoy what you are writing

I have fun writing this blog, and so I hope you have fun reading it.
Thank you,Thank you! Thank you very much!