Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Who you callin a Turkey? R.I.P. Grandpa


My Grandpa passed away in the beginning of February. I have to say that I did not appreciate my Grandfather as an actual 'Person' until a few years ago. Until then he was known to me as the second member of that famous duo 'Grandma & Grandpa'. AKA Grandparents.

After my Grandmother passed away, my Grandfather was alone, so of course we all tried a bit harder to keep him busy, hang out with him more. It was during that time that I finally recognized my Grandpa for what he was.

A man.
A person.
Somebody with life stories.

I always enjoyed being around my Grandparents, and was lucky enough to have them live 10 minutes away. When my Grandma died it was unexpected, heartbreaking, and just downright devastating. But there was a calmness in my mind, because although she was gone,  the other founding member of the duo was still remaining.
 I still had my Grandpa.
 He still lived in the same house, with the same memories, the same decorations on the wall, and still carried on the same holiday traditions. My waters rippled for a bit, but eventually calmed.

With my Grandpa passing, I realize I am taking it a bit differently. I can't say that I am taking it harder, because I don't know if you can put an emotional gauge on it. But differently is the best way to put it.
Maybe it is because I am getting older. I am looking at things differently in my own life. Death gets to be more and more within reach, and it feels scary. It makes me look at my parents and truly think to myself
"If they ever leave me, I don't know what I would do" 
Yup, I have to say, getting older and dealing with what comes with age is something I have been mulling over A LOT lately! 

But back to Grandpa........

Who you callin a Turkey? 

You Grandpa! You are a Turkey!

When I was little I would tell my Grandpa he was a 'Turkey' He would act grumpy, I would laugh, then he would laugh, and then we would both laugh. 

So in memory of my Grandpa, here are a few pictures.
Cheers Grandpa!
Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, San Diego
Beautiful view, overlooking the Harbor, Coronado Island, and the city over to the left. 
The Beautiful Urn that he had picked out for my Grandmother. It now holds both their ashes together. 
A spot for Grandpa with his glass of red wine. After the ceremony, we all went to eat at his favorite Mexican restaurant. Cheers! 
After lunch, we decided to visit the mobile home one last time. Too many memories to count. 
Back at my parents home. These are the same Fisher Price toys that my cousins and I played with when we were young. Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren have been enjoying these toys for a long time. Now they will be at my parents house, brought out when the little ones come around.


Now just memories to share  Grandma and Grandpa
One of my favorite pictures of them. 

My Aunt & Uncle bought him an iphone a couple of years ago. He taught himself all the ins and outs of it. One important function being the screensaver. This was at a family BBQ at my brothers house. I asked him what he was looking at on his phone, and he turned it to me and said
"Your Grandma"
His screensaver was a picture of my Gram.

My Grandpa had this funny grumpy side to him. He never wanted anyone making a fuss over him. This picture is a few years old. It is a picture of us as I am asking him which mug he wanted for his coffee. Also if he wanted cream; which I knew he didn't, but it was funny because he hated all the 'Foo Foo' creamers, so I started to ask just to hear him start rambling.  I'm shooshing my hands at him saying "I know, I know! I was just kidding" 
Later on I had posted this picture on Facebook, then showed it to him and said "Hey Grandpa, this is a picture of me showing you how to Raise the Roof, Holla!" He just stared at me, and shook his head. 

This is what I envisioned happening the second he strutted through those pearly gates. Hopefully they are still slow dancin the night away up there in the stars...........

15 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, JR!
    It was incredibly hard to lose my grandparents- I'm glad you got to know him as a person and not just Grandpa. I can't imagine a better place to rest than that cemetary...looking out over Coronado.
    Sweet memories and I hope they are indeed dancing the night away in the stars.
    Hugs, T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina. Very beautiful cemetery,with an extremely awesome view.

      Delete
  2. WOW!!!!! This is awesome. Thank you for sharing this with us. Again I'm sorry for your loss. I know some of how you feel. My dad dies almost 2 years ago, within reach, more real. This is a beautiful memory card you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Cool pic of the old toys. Love that they still get played with. Such a great post. I love meeting blogger's families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love looking through old pictures too, and the photo albums have been all put into my care (which is an honor)

      The toys - SO COOL! I am a pretty sentimental/nostalgic person so being able to still have those toys, and remembering & looking back on pictures of myself playing with them is great!

      Delete
  4. Oh J.R. you just made me cry reading this post. The picture of them having a hug is beautiful, because you can see the love that your grandma has for him, by the look on her face. And that ending...okay, I'm crying again now.

    This is such a wonderful tribute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lily! That is one of my favorite pictures of them. Just so sweet. I especially love her little face in that picture.

      Delete
  5. Oh my. A wonderful tribute. You are so loving and this expression from your heart means more than I can say. I am moved to tears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. I had it on hold for a bit, then wanted to write something. luv ya!

      Delete
  6. I left you an award on my blog. Come by and pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!! I am just checking in real quick before the Easter festivities. I will click over to your blog tonight( or tomorrow if the 'festivities' keep me from my computer)
      thank you again!
      :)
      I keep staring at the word FESTIVITIES and am convinced I am spelling it incorrectly. That was just an inner thought that I typed out loud.
      Happy Easter!

      Delete
  7. beautiful!! His face would light up when you walked into the room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you A J! Love you, and what is really great is I knew how much he loved me, which is a wonderful thing.
      I am extremely lucky for the family I have.

      Delete

Reading is a wonderful thing......if you enjoy what you are reading
Writing is a wonderful thing.........if you enjoy what you are writing

I have fun writing this blog, and so I hope you have fun reading it.
Thank you,Thank you! Thank you very much!